Ask a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant: Sponsoring Family Members

Frequently Asked Questions: How do I bring my sister, brother, niece, nephew, friend, etc. to come live in Canada?

When it comes to sponsoring people to come to live in Canada permanently, there are rules about what kinds of family members can be sponsored. If you are a permanent resident of Canada or a Canadian citizen, you can usually sponsor the following people:
  • Your spouse or partner and their dependent children (under the age of 22)
  • Your dependent children (under the age of 22)
  • Your adopted child (under the age of 22)
  • Your dependent child over the age of 22 if they can’t financially support themselves because they have a mental or physical condition and they have depended on you for financial support since before they turned 22
  • Your orphaned sibling who is under the age of 18 and not married/common law
  • Your parents
  • Your grandparents

If you do not have any family members living inside or outside of Canada who fit any of the above descriptions and you do not have any other relatives living in Canada already, you may be able to sponsor a different family member such as an adult sibling, aunt, uncle, niece or nephew. But if you have even one family member who fits the above descriptions anywhere in the world or a different relative who already lives in Canada, you are not able to use this exception.

So if your family member or friend does not fit into any of the categories above, how can they come to Canada? Depending on how long they want to stay in Canada, they may want to consider coming as a visitor (temporary resident visa), an international student (study permit), a temporary worker (work permit), or apply to immigrate permanently through Express Entry or one of the various Provincial Nominee Programs.

Aimee Jensen is a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC) at KCR Community Resources. To learn more about her reduced cost services for low-income families, including parent and grandparent sponsorship applications, please contact Aimee at ac.rcknull@noitargimmi or 250.763.8008.

Information on this blog is not immigration advice and is for informational uses only. To get specialized immigration advice on your situation and unique circumstances, you should contact a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC) or Immigration Lawyer.
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Sorry, comments are closed for this post.

Written by

View all posts by:
Translate »