Our goal at The Adoption Centre of British Columbia is to respond to you, and to your needs and choices. We provide caring, confidential support to help you understand all your options, as a parent or parent-to-be. Our trained staff will help guide you until you finally make your choice and then help counsel you afterwards if you have chosen to place your child.
There are no costs associated with our birth parent services.
For those of you who pursue adoption planning, we will:
- Ensure your rights and the rights of your child are fully protected. We want birth parents to continue to feel a sense of control, and choice, as the adoption process occurs.
- Ensure that your child will be going to a nurturing and permanent home through our adoptive parent home study process. We feel that it is essential to provide you with profiles of prospective families who will honour your child’s cultural, racial, and linguistic heritage, and who support your religious beliefs.
- Negotiate openness agreements with the adoptive parents, so your child can be made aware of his/her birth history.
- Help you through the process with counselling and support, so you fully understand the process before it begins, and what the impact of your decision will be when it is complete.
Starting the process:
- Call 1.800.935.4237 toll free (or text 250.212.8366) to speak with an Adoption Centre social worker. Or,
- if you prefer to continue to research before contacting us, you may find answers to some of your initial questions online at the Ministry for Children and Family Development.
If, after your research you want to continue to explore adoption:
- Our social worker that lives nearest you will contact you to arrange an initial visit.
- The goal of the first visit is simply to present adoption information to help you determine whether or not it is an avenue that you want to seriously consider.
- We encourage you to voice any concerns or doubts you have about placing your child and you can change your mind at any point – there is no pressure to place your child just because you’re started planning.